Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hamburgers, Nespresso, Liquor and Paninis.

Bonjour,
After a few days at Cannes I have realized that the variation in my diet has become nonexistent. I eat the same cheap food, don't sleep and watch films, but I couldn't be happier. Let me elaborate a little more about the essential ingredients and the role they play in the day-to-day here.

Hamburgers:
There is a stand in Juan Les Pins very close to where I am staying that sells a sandwich called "The Americain." It is a french baguette stuffed with three hamburgers, American Cheese, French Fries, ketchup and the awesome mayo the have here. All of the former Cannes attendees rave about how it is the best sandwich ever. It is not. Don't get me wrong, its very enjoyable, filling and cheap (5 Euro), but I don't believe anything tastes as good as the way it was first described to me. I have been here for a week exactly, and I believe I have had this sandwich for five of those days. The other two,  have satisfied my cheap food craving with a McBaguette, which is McDonald's version that is not too similar.

Nespresso:
Nespresso is a sponsor of the festival and has a huge booth filled with free espresso made by - you guessed it - Nestle. You can get as many as you want, and some of the "Nespresso Girls" are really hot, so I frequent said booth. With my ongoing sleep deprivation, they also are essential to ensure that I don't fall asleep during any films. I learned this lesson the hard way after falling asleep for 20 minutes in "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." It was so great and I was ashamed of myself for falling asleep and disrespecting Jiro like that. Never again. That's why I rip a Nespresso shot before almost every film I see here.

Liquor:
Alcohol and no sleep aren't the best combo, but that's how I roll.

Paninis:
The other key element of my diet is something I am already sick of: Paninis. They are very easily found during the day in Cannes and are pretty filling for 5 euro, but damn am I sick of Paninis. No more; I'm done. They're bland and other than the fact that there is also a hot Panini Stand girl, they don't bring much to the table.

Obviously, there are some other elements of my diet tha have helped to balance out all the carbs, but these are the main ingredients for Cannes survival on the cheap.

Au Revoir,
Cory
P.S. I caved and bought myself a 23 Euro drink last night at the Majestic Hotel and spilled it all over a friend of mine after just three sips - I estimated that the spill cost me around 20 euro. Sweet.
P.P.S. Blogging is kind of douchey, sorry if this comes across that way.

1 comment: