Friday, May 18, 2012

Retard (Late)

Sorry about the delay...Cassie Stone and probably my direct family,
Things have been a whirlwind, but in the best kind of way. After getting settled into Juan Les Pins, or as I like to call it, the Gulf Shores of South France, the film festival just kind of took over. I call it Gulf Shores, because of it's Spring Break-esque qualities. It's not near as bad as Panama City, but it's no Sanibel. That being said, JLP is great, everything is close and convenient, and except for the anti-Christ bitch who cashiers at the local grocery store, this town is great.

Cannes is unbelievable. The city, itself, is beautiful and the festival is out of this world. Marilyn Monroe's image is plastered all over the town alongside the Cannes 65th logo. It took a few days, but I finally got the hang of scheduling my time appropriately and rolling with the punches. Here is what my schedule has been like so far.

Wednesday, May 16:
Detachment (Adrien Brody, Christina Hendricks): Awesome. A very good way to start my trip. Tony Kaye (American History X) directed it and it was intense in all the right ways.

Something From Nothing: The History of Rap (Documentary): Directed by Ice-T, it digs into the art of rapping itself. Eminem's portion is, by far, the best. My big issue is that he didn't talk to any southern rappers at all. No respect for the ATL.

I would love to give you review of Moonrise Kingdom,  but I was unable to beg for tickets for the premier, nor see it the next day because it filled up so quick. Dammit. My friend, Alison Bridges, met and talked to Wes Anderson that night, so she was stoked. I also saw Marion Cotillard in The Majestic Hotel yesterday, so my night was made.

Thursday, May 17:
After not making it into the second screening of Moonrise Kingdom, I thought I found a quick fix in a nearby theater by seeing Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie in a nearby theater. Wrong. It fucking blew. Next.

I went on to see the French film Farewell My Queen with Diane Kruger later that afternoon. Pretty average, but Lea Seydoux is a total babe and gave me something to look as the film drudged on.

I am proud to say that my ticket-begging crew and I all managed to procure tickets for Rust and Bones last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment